Mentoplasty is the official name of the surgical procedure that makes a weak or receding chin appear more prominent. An implant is placed in a pocket over the bone of the chin. The goal is to strengthen the chin and give the face more balance and harmony. Sometimes it is necessary to correct the nose as well, though a stronger chin often makes the nose appear more balanced. Some patients also opt to undergo liposuction of the neck area in addition to, or independent of, chin augmentation. Neck liposuction makes the neck appear smoother and slimmer, and contributing to a more youthful appearance.
- If you have localized deposits of fat in the anterior part of the neck – under the chin
- If you have muscle laxity under the chin only
- If you have sagging with skin folds in the anterior part of the neck (under chin only)
- If you have a small or receding chin
- A chin that looks too small in comparison with other facial features and possibly makes the nose appear longer.
- Desire for increased chin prominence.